The cherry cake is one of my family’s favorite and also mine. So , when I saw the frozen cherries in the supermarket I couldn’t stop myself and bought a bag and made this delicious cherry cake . This is made after my mother’s recipe from a very old dessert cookbook that she has from her young days .
She made this cake since I was little and I’ve always loved it so much. And, is also so easy to make , is fluffy and full of flavor and can be made with any other kind of fruits .
Hope you will also like it !
- 500 gr cherries pitted, frozen or fresh
- 380 gr flour
- 200 gr butter
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 200 gr sugar
- 10 gr baking powder
- Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Lemon peel from 1 lemon
- A little salt
- All the ingredients need to be at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and base line a 33×23 cm .
- Putt the butter in the mixer ball together with the sugar – mix them well for 3-4 min. Add the eggs, lemon peel and the vanilla essence and beat this well.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and the salt into a bowl.
- Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Last add the lemon zest and give it a good mix to make a thick, smooth mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and spread evenly. Scatter the cherries over the mixture and gently press them in.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 175 C until a skewer pushed into the center comes out clean. Leave in the tin until cool enough to handle, then run a knife round the edge, remove the cake from the tin and leave on a wire rack until completely cold
- At the end powder the cake with powder sugar and it’s just perfect for serving !