Fresh Cherry Cake
The cherry cake is one of my family’s favorite and also mine. So, when I saw the frozen cherries in the supermarket I couldn’t stop myself and bought a bag and made this delicious cherry cake. This is made after my mother’s recipe from a very old dessert cookbook that she has from her young days.
She made this cake since I was little and I’ve always loved it so much. And, is also so easy to make, is fluffy and full of flavor and can be made with any other kind of fruits.
Hope you will also like it!
- 500 gr cherries pitted, frozen or fresh
- 380 gr flour
- 200 gr butter
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 200 gr sugar
- 10 gr baking powder
- Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Lemon peel from 1 lemon
- A little salt
- All the ingredients need to be at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and base line a 33×23 cm.
- Putt the butter in the mixer ball together with the sugar – mix them well for 3-4 min. Add the eggs, lemon peel, and the vanilla essence and beat this well.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and the salt into a bowl.
- Alternate beating in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Last, add the lemon zest and give it a good mix to make a thick, smooth mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and spread evenly. Scatter the cherries over the mixture and gently press them in.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 175 C until a skewer pushed into the center comes out clean. Leave in the tin until cool enough to handle, then run a knife around the edge, remove the cake from the tin and leave on a wire rack until completely cold
- At the end powder the cake with powder sugar and it’s just perfect for serving!